Re: [TowerTalk] VOA tower demolition in HD

To: towertalk@contesting.com, frenaye@direcway.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VOA tower demolition in HD
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 09:51:03 -0400
>Probably many of you have already seen this, but this is a HD  version
with more views of the tower demolition.
>I have one question.  I've always heard that when a really tall tower
comes down, it basically  collapses onto itself and doesn't fall as one solid
unit extending out the  height of the tower. Watching this, I see many of the
towers didn't collapse  into one small area but went down as a full unit.

>  There was a  NJ engineering firm study done 25-30 years ago on tower
failures.   It  was mostly about commercial towers more than 200' high.  They
all fell  within 30% of their height.   I think they were mostly guyed
towers.  You may find that K1VR referenced it in his book on antenna zoning
issues.   I assume there must be something done more  recently.

    This is known as the Gunnar Olsen study. A copy of  it is at
http://www.championradio.com/Gunnar-Olsen.pdf

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH