Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a Short Rotatable Dipole or...

To: Jon <kd5sfa@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a Short Rotatable Dipole or...
From: Eric Rosenberg <ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 08:43:36 -0400
Thanks for all the suggestions.

In addition to the obvious issue of cost, the following are two issues I need to consider:

- Horizontal size and turning radius. The largest turning radius I can handle and not get into adjacent trees on one side and hanging over power lines is 16 feet.

- Height. My C3-SS sits on a short mast in a 4-legged roof tower on my roof. The total height over the peak of the is about 6 feet. Above it is my 160m wire that goes from the back of the lot to the front. Off-hand I don't know how high the wire is over the yagi.

K9YC (a good friend who's been to this QTH) suggested a vertical with radials. I use a DK9SQ mast in my back yard for my Winter only (when no one goes out there) K9AY loops, so I'm familiar with it. As the houses 26 feet wide, there's no place on the roof to put it.

So it's back to the proverbial drawing board. I'll need to study Jim's paper previously cited. He's far more methodical than I am, which is why I defer to his judgement. Unless I can find an affordable EF-140S, the wire options are to load the 160 inv-L on 40, put up a 40m half-square (unsuccessful once before) or something else simple.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. Lots of great ideas!

73,

Eric W3DQ