Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 19:27:59 -0400
Torque means a lot. It's the ultimate measure of turning power and the ability to hold an antenna in the wind. OTOH, The torque it takes to accelerate, stop, and hold an antenna an antenna in a given wind only partially depends on the area. It also depends on how well the antenna is torque balanced for lack of a better term.

At what angle to the wind does the antenna present the most resistance to the wind as a lateral force on the tower? OTOH at what angle does the wind present the most load for turning and holding?

These are the reasons I refuse to use a spur gear driven rotator on large antennas. There are rotators with relatively thick, machined, precision gears, not thin, stamped sheet metal. Regardless of the weather, I want to be able to turn the antenna(s) even if the wind is 50 or 60 MPH and the band is open.. When I release the brake on a Ham Series rotator, I can pretty much turn the bell and thus the motor by hand and those spur gears just scream.. I've released the brake and have had the rotator spin around to the stops before the motor could stop the antenna and then move it to the desired heading. That kind of stop is hard on everything in the whole antenna system.

IOW the rotator turning torque and holding (brake) torque are the only fixed values, or measurable values. The "flat plate equivalent wind resistance of the antenna is only the starting point. There is also the mass and lever arm. The longer the boom and the heavier the antenna the more torque it takes to start and stop it on a calm day. Wind complicates things as it may reduce the starting torque required, or increase it. Hence the ramping up and down for starting and stopping the rotation.

I can't imagine these gears failing unless they were severely over loaded, or abused.( http://www.rogerhalstead.com/Gears.htm ) Look at the size of the worm gear wheel in photo 6. The worm gear is shown in photo 3. You can see some brass spalling on the worm gear caused by rust from the failed bearings in the gear lube.

Unlike some others I do blame the rotators. Having to add devices to cushion the start, stop, and absorb wind oscillation points out weaknesses in the rotator. Those devices let the ham get away with using under rated rotators. Of course most of us at one time or another have been guilty of over loading a rotator, tower, or other "things". I certainly have and knew I was doing so at the time. In addition, those devices by their very nature allow the antenna to swing more (farther) in the wind, adding to the stress the boom and elements must absorb. They remove the shock loading, but by allowing the antenna to swing farther in wind induced oscillation they actually increase stress. BUT at this point we must differentiate between shock loading and overall stress. Shock loading is like tapping with a steel hammer. It takes far less force to do damage with the hammer than to sum the forces of 4 or 5 "hits" (or even more) compared to a steady pressure, or force of that total magnitude.

73

Roger  (K8RI)