Re: [TowerTalk] Sad news N5IA SK in tower fall

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sad news N5IA SK in tower fall
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 18:04:20 -0400
The most difficult climb I ever had was getting an inexperienced climber down, who froze in place after looking down.
Thankfully he was only at 60 feet.
I had been doing tower and antenna maintenance for a repeater on a 200' tower at just under the 100' level (but on a several hundred ft hill, that put it about 600 feet above ground level down here.) until I moved to the present location. I was in town when I received a call on our regional repeater. The other repeater had a problem. The frozen climber.

I had to go back home, get my climbing gear and then drive over 60 miles to the other site. Once there, get harnessed up and climb the 60'. This tower sat on a concrete pier that was about 6' tall IIRC. Once I was up there, quite some time had elapsed since I was called. I don't know how long he had been there before they called, but I had to pry his fingers loose as his muscles were now rigid. It became a series of move the had, climb down, move a foot, then do the same on the other side. Thankfully the braces were close enough that I could do one side at a time. Once we were down to the pier, he could not climb down on a stepladder with out help.

I'll bet he had trouble moving the next day and used a lot of pain pills. I "think" one of the other hams drove him home.

It's been a long time, but IIRC he free climbed. I don't remember any safety gear, but there may have been. That was over 30 years ago, so I would have been in my 40s and a lot better shape than now.

73,

Roger (K8RI)