Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Incidents

To: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Incidents
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 17:05:17 -0700
Probably it was the stainless alloy that was used. Sailboat standing rigging can last 10 years, sitting 4 ft from salt water, and it is under a lot of tension.

Yes, the oxygen deprivation is a problem with many SS alloys. 316 is the most resistant 300 series alloy. Nitronic 50, used for rod rigging is very resistant but a bit pricey. Keel bolts thru fiberglass hulls into lead keels were falling off due to this problem until builders switched to 316L or monel. I believe there is a bronze alloy that is stronger than 300 series stainless and completely free of the problem, but have forgotten the name.

see http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Stainless-Steel-Rigging

Grant KZ1W