Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Coax and Control Lines

To: Tom-W3FRG <w3frg1@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Coax and Control Lines
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 14:27:07 -0700
I'd caution that "new" generation Heliax is very fragile. LDF4, FSJ4, LDF5 all had much heavier copper shields. I had to buy some AVA5 after my LDF5 ran out and it is an entirely different animal. It is very easy to kink and flatten and it is tough to clean the foam without damage to the shield. It was mentioned here that one cell installer won't even accept an AVA reel on its side because damage is very likely.

Also, for aerial suspension, falling branches or ice from antennas or tower will likely put a significant dent in AVA. The commercial design is an "ice bridge" cover above the suspended Heliax which could be solid or perforated/woven/expanded galvanized steel.

Grant KZ1W