Re: [TowerTalk] To pin or not to pin

To: Kevin <kstover@ac0h.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] To pin or not to pin
From: Floyd Rodgers <kc5qbc@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 13:58:43 -0500
May I suggest you do not use a high strength heat treated bolt as a pin, you
would be much better off using 1 or two roll pins. The most important part is
to line drill a close tolerance hole through both clamps so torque is evenly
distributed between the two shear zones. Start with one pin and the if that
also fails you can go to two pins. The holes should be a no slop metal to metal
fit with the mast and clamps. Make certain the place you choose to drill hole
has no air gap between the mast and clamps. Your goal is ZERO rotation slop of
the assembly when you are done.

Floyd KC5QBC