Re: [TowerTalk] To pin or not to pin

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] To pin or not to pin
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 23:33:09 -0000
I am not a mechanical engineer but I do not see how an 8mm hole will weaken
your mast. I had a station that used two Yaesu G-2800 rotators and I pinned
the mast per the manufactures instructions and had no issues.  Having an
antenna slip in the wind is unacceptable in my opinion. I would either
change the rotor, clamp or try pinning it. Zinc hardware corrodes very
quickly outdoors, don't use it.  If you are drilling a hole why do you need
M8 hardware instead of 5/16 or even go larger which is readily available in
stainless steel.  I do not believe that stainless steel bolts come in the
same grades standards as steel although some stainless materials may be
equivalent. If you drill your 4130 mast, do not run the drill too fast and
use a lubricant to avoid work hardening it. I have had no issues machining
4130/4140 using standard HSS bits.

John KK9A