Re: [TowerTalk] Wind loading

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind loading
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:58:20 -0400

You're not really concerned about wind load - more about overturning
moment for the base.  You can calculate the overturning force for each
section of the vertical by using length x diameter (both in feet for
square feet) multiplied by the distance of the center of that section
above the base.  Simply sum the forces for each section.

If you are concerned about the bending moment (yield) for each section
you can calculate the bending moment at each joint as the sum of the
forces above that joint and use the standard mast calculations for
that force in the cross sectional area just above each joint.

Instead of wood bases, you may want to look into non-penetrating roof
mounts (the kind that use concrete blocks as ballast).  They are
typically 3' x 3' or 4' x 4' and will hold a considerable number of
blocks if needed to provide enough overturning resistance.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV