Re: [TowerTalk] Wind loading

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind loading
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 19:04:45 -0700
As Roger has pointed out, wind gradient is an important aspect in the design of any structure - tower or skyscraper.

I host a wx station here which feeds into the NOAA system. Until recently I had an anemometer at ground (now not in place) and one at 30 feet (the NOAA anemometer height recommendation). I am planning on one at the 70 foot level on my larger crankup.

Wind typically increases in speed with height, but obviously the terrain within a defined area will have a bearing on what wind speeds are. As Roger noted, terrain plays an important role. I often experienced a significant difference between the ground and 30 foot levels, sometimes as much as 25 MPH or more. The ground anemometer was located on flat grassy ground with little obstruction for some 2-300 feet. The anemometer at the 30 foot level is 8 feet about the house roof at the front peak. Our second level deck is between the two as far as height. We would often see no wind at the ground level, be experiencing a moderate wind on the deck and see only a light breeze or a significant wind speed at the roof anemometer (not the best location by the way!).

Roger has touched on a situation that many hams should consider doing, getting a fix on how the winds at their location are affected by terrain and by obstructions. The latter two factors will have a significant bearing on what happens with wind speeds. Knowing how ones physical obstructions on the property affects the wind currents can help lead to better tower siting.

A little hand anemometer is a cheap investment and can be successfully used if you really want to know what is happening on your property and are willing to walk around a bit. Plotting this on a property map showing buildings, trees and other obstructions is easily done if you want a GENERAL idea. Your results may differ with certain storms of course (also a good time to do a walk around).

If really interested in wx at your location there is a NOAA-NWS manual dealing with wx instrument siting standards. I don't have it at hand but if anyone is interested contact me and I'll go chase it down.

Don W7WLL
MesoWest AS-531
SKY WARN LC-3H
Cranky Old Guy with Crankups