Re: [TowerTalk] Wind loading

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind loading
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:24:41 -0400
Wind varies with height. Even with 20 feet there can be a substantial difference. Much depends on the size of the rocks. As the page the previous link, said: close to the ground the wind is irregular. The rocks will make it even more so. You also have the rising air currents. Will the bases be well above high tide? I've flown along much of that coastline and IIRC there was an abrupt drop off at, or just beyond the shore.

You have increasing wind velocity as you go from the base to the top while the antennas taper. Going from 3/4" to 3/8ths will make for a pretty flexible vertical. I think the safest would to calculate the flat plate area for ea section, and use the average. Then use the top wind speed. This will give you some safety factor on the higher portions of the verticals.

73,

Roger (K8RI)