Re: [TowerTalk] Wire 4-squares in the woods?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire 4-squares in the woods?
From: Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 10:33:51 -0400
I have an 80M 4sq deep in the woods. It uses the DXE 4sq. and I had them cut the phasing lines. The 4 corners are very accurately marked with a treated 2x4 pounded into the dirt. Each 2x4 has a 4x4 weatherproof electrical box with SO-239 on the bottom and a SS bolt on the top connected internally to the SO-239. There is a radial gounding system on the earth made of galvanized electrical fence wire clamped to a ground rod at each corner and connected to the shell of the SO-239 via a SS bolt on the underside of the electrical box. Each corner is connected to the others by a direct run of wire along with the rest of the system.

The vertical elements are made from insulated antenna wire from Davis RF and were run over convenient tree limbs with a tennis ball launcher so they are as close to vertical as I could get. Excess wire is run out away from the center of the 4 sq and tied to a tree using black 3/32" rope sold by many radio dealers. The wires are connected to the bolt on top of the electrical boxes with an appropriately sized compression wire lug. These have broken from time to time by repeated flexing but replacing them takes only a minute or two. The dummy load is housed in a plastic box near the remote controller which is clamped to a piece of 2" water pipe driven into the ground. The run from my shack to the controller is about 900', mostly LMR-400 equivalent. The relays are controlled with 4 conductor water sprinkler wire from Home Depot.

Does it work? My first QSO with it was with BU2AQ for a new country and zone on 80 on 1/26/2012. I had been trying to work him many mornings for years with my dipole with no luck and I nearly fell out of the chair when he came back to me. I have used it in contests and for DXing with pretty good results and it's really amazing how it's like listening on a beverage that you can point in different directions.

73, Les W2LK