Re: [TowerTalk] Legal Power measurement Discussion

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Legal Power measurement Discussion
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 08:04:00 -0700
On 9/26/16 7:33 AM, James Wolf wrote:
So, if I removed the output connector on my amplifier and wired the coax
directly to the output relay inside, does the coax now become part of the
amplifier?

It could be.. consider an absurd straw man - you've got your transmitter and coax inside a long airconditioning duct out to the antenna, so the only "connector" is a the end of the duct. Your transmitter "box" is 2x2x100 ft.

What about coax inside a metal raceway (conduit).

So you get into this rats nest of "where is the boundary line?"... Part 97 is silent on this essential detail.

Ultimately, I suspect that if you're not "radiating" too much power, the FCC cares not where you draw the line - they show up outside your property with a field strength meter, not a magic probe that can see inside the coax.

For another oddball case: consider a resonant compact loop with the loop being part of the PA tank. This is real common in consumer equipment.. the L in the tank is also the radiator.

Jim - KR9U

Jim's right: it's not clear at all what Part 97.313 really means. It
provides no standard for measurement and no indication where the
measurements should be taken. You can't really say "Well, it's obvious they
mean at the transmitter."