Re: [TowerTalk] DOS?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DOS?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 15:27:31 -0700
On 10/11/16 1:16 PM, marsh@ka5m.net wrote:
Hi Steve,

My son James, KB5JXV, has 2 Masters Degrees in Computer Science, worked for
several years as a programmer in Silicon Valley, and is currently teaching
programming at 2 different colleges. He might be interested in taking a look
at what you have. I assume the source code is in BASIC,  QuickBASIC, or
something like that? He programs these days in C++ or C# (or something like
that), but the programming language he would use is not important, only that
the app run under Windows 10.

well, one might hope that it would run under *any* version of windows, and ideally, *any* OS.

that would push towards using an interpreted as opposed to a compiled language like java, javascript, python, etc. for which run time environments exist for almost everything.

If you do it in javascript (which the CS majors will hate, it's a terrible terrible language) then any web browser can run it.

It's kind of a pain, but once you've got python installed, stuff that's in python seems to run pretty much the same in all environments.