Re: [TowerTalk] Crowd sourcing ideas on making antennas look better

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crowd sourcing ideas on making antennas look better
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 04:21:26 -0700
On 10/31/16 7:04 PM, Mickey Baker wrote:
Alodine. Easy, fairly cheap, good long term protection. Chromate coating,
two stage process.

There's also versions of conversion coating that don't use hexavalent chromium, but chromate is by far the most popular.

But the OP was looking for something that is visually more attractive.

A bit of browsing around shows that you can do a two step process: chromate conversion coating (to make sure that the surface is conductive, unlike bare aluminum) and then a masked and dyed anodize (which you can get in most any color). It would appear that it's not that hard to mask off the parts you don't want anodized.

Since we're talking tubing here, does the inside need treament too?

I wonder if the chromate conversion reduces the galling/sticking issue on disassembly?