Re: [TowerTalk] M2 7&10-30LP8 vs 2 or 3 element tribander

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] M2 7&10-30LP8 vs 2 or 3 element tribander
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 10:29:23 -0800
In my experience, the only way to compare any system with such a small difference in performance is by A/B testing. That means the two antennas mounted close to each other with elements in line (to minimize coupling between them) and at the same height, with a LOT of testing to average out the effects of QSB (or by studying cluster spots).

Does 1-2 dB matter? For casual operation, no. For serious weak signal work, when your signal is at the level of the other guy's noise, it can matter a LOT. But anecdotal comments from owners of one antenna or the other are hardly meaningful, and often based more on the pride of the owner in the choice he made in buying what he bought. :) If you doubt this statement, spend a few hours reading the archive of the email reflector devoted to ANY manufacturer's radio.

73, Jim K9YC