Re: [TowerTalk] UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effects

To: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effects at RF.
From: Guy Olinger <k2av@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 19:33:00 -0500
On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net> wrote:
> This method sure beats digging up or striping the insulation from 100's or
> perhaps 1000's of feet of wire.

Stripping insulation from a 500 feet spool of #12 THHN from a big box
store is easy-peasy. Once you've seen it done, you'll kick yourself in
the butt for ever buying bare wire from the online stores at double
the cost. Or for leaving it on up in the air to go bad and ruin the
copper.

Why this dogged defense of THHN insulation? Is copper wire more
honorable if it keeps its insulation? Does CW launched from insulated
wire have fewer key clicks? Does SSB launched from insulated wire
sound softer and more mellow?  What's going on here?

Buried, insulated radials get one into a pretty muddy separate
discussion that coopts concerns about deteriorating insulation. There
is a case to be made for bare buried radials, but it has caveats, and
takes one back to 1937, and understanding the study by Brown, Lewis
and Epstein.

This thread is about elevated conductors whose insulation is being
initially deteriorated by UV, with subsequent significant losses.

We're trying to arrange a roughly-Raleigh wire-stripping demonstration
for this week, with 3 or 4 guys doing video on their phones, so we can
do a YouTube on "the method".

73, Guy K2AV