Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi Building Ideas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi Building Ideas
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 19:29:50 -0800
On Sun,1/1/2017 7:59 AM, Tom Hellem wrote:
Do any of you have some that you would be willing to share with us and the
group?

Here's a link to a talk that W6GJB gave at Pacificon this year about building a contesting trailer for Field Day and county expeditions for state QSO pqrties. Glen has come up with a lot of really good ideas and brought them together to form a portable station that goes together quickly and works really well.

http://k9yc.com/trailer.pdf

Glen is being generous in crediting me as strategist. This project is all his.

I'm posting this link because it shows how Glen rebuilt and rigged a C3SS for quick assembly. Slide #29 shows all the key elements of the rebuild. All the elements travel fully assembled on the roof of the trailer. The driven elements are secured to the boom with bolts and nuts, the parasitic elements are clamped. Two people can get this antenna up on the army mast in a half hour while a third operator is working 20M on the vertical attached to the rack on top of the trailer.

Our team loves the C3SS as a portable contesting antenna -- between us, we own three of them, all bought used. Glen did all the rebuilding. The mast jack is also his design. Glen, Frank, W6JTI, and I did five setups to activate 7 NV counties in 17 hours during 7QP, and we activated three counties in the CA QSO party. Butte and Glenn were from this trailer, Tehama by three other team members.

73, Jim K9YC