Re: [TowerTalk] Long Tangent U Bolts

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long Tangent U Bolts
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 08:37:44 -0700
Bending threaded rod has risks - the Zn film will be damaged whether plated or hot dip and the V threads then become a likely spot for crevice corrosion.

Also, the minimum diameter of the threads is less than the stock diameter so the "U-bolt" is weaker in the U than commercial u-bolts with full diameter stock. Whether that matters vs the normal threaded part of the U-bolt depends on the stress distribution created by whatever is being clamped. In my experience, "all-thread" from your local big box may not even be grade 3 steel.

Far better I think to use SS or HDG graded bolts and saddles both sides, back to back, or plain flat plates for square stock clamping. Machining split collars is another option and used by JKantennas for their 4" boom large yagis.

While SS does look nice, HDG fasteners last a long time as others have mentioned and doesn't gall. HDG is generally preferred in commercial tower construction. An exception would be salt spray exposed locales but then 316 stainless or better is needed.

Grant KZ1W