Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Long Tangent U Bolts, SS watch out

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Long Tangent U Bolts, SS watch out
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 05:56:21 -0500
One of the things you experienced is known as oxygen deprivation corrosion. It can wreak havoc with SS in short order.

Your surmise is correct. There are many variations of SS and they are not created equal. In your boating experience you may have noted how some boats had topside stainless that looked nice with virtually no care while other examples seemed to show discoloration and even light rust in a short time. Another attribute is magnetism. Some stainless won't stick to a magnet and some will. Makes a difference when selecting SS to be located near your binnacle.

Patrick        NJ5G