[TowerTalk] Fwd: Long Tangent U Bolts, SS watch out

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Long Tangent U Bolts, SS watch out
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 00:21:49 -0400
SS is not that of a "permanent" solution people want to believe. I have
experience with SS on sailboats and at my swimming pool. SS can rapidly corrode
with very little sign of trouble until it's to late, I have seen several SS
parts break due to stress corrosion, something that appears as a hairline crack
n the part. This happens if the surface of the SS part is not exposed to air,
such as being covered with see weed. I have also seen an SS heat exchanger
start leaking after being exposed to water containing chlorine. It took a few
years for the heat exchanger to start leaking but SS was not a guarantee for a
long service life.

If you use SS anywhere make sure it is clean and open to air. I don't know much
about various classes of SS but am sure there are good and bad types.

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS