Re: [TowerTalk] tower base rod weatherproofing

To: Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com>, bob <w9zv@comcast.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower base rod weatherproofing
From: Gene K5GS <k5gs@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 10:37:42 -0700

UST HDX-572:

I used automotive grease on the exposed anchor bolts / double nuts, that was 16 years ago. The base was buried in snow several months each winter. When I took the tower down last May to move it the nuts came off with no fuss or stress.

Installed new anchors at the new QTH. Exposed anchors / double nuts sprayed with cold galvanize, non galvanized embedded anchors went in bare . No snow and little rain at this new QTH.

The UST specs don't call for coating the embedded anchors, nor did the Professional Engineer that inspected the anchors / rebar cage make any comments on coating the anchors.

Cheers,
Gene K5GS