[TowerTalk] Grounding of cables to tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding of cables to tower?
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 14:39:53 -0400
Gentlemen,

I am in the process of rethinking my entire ground system and would appreciate
your thoughts and comments.  I have two 4-squares and a 160 meter Inv L which
are located anywhere from 100’ – 200’ from my nearest towers.

Since these wire antennas are not located near my towers I currently do not
have the coax or control lines grounded at the tower before coming to the
shack.  (Think of a right triangle with the wire antenna at the far point of
one leg, the tower at the other point of the same leg and my shack as the apex
of the right triangle.  So the wire antenna to the shack is the hypotenuse.

Ultimately I plan to ground the coax and control lines from the tower to a
Hoffman box at the tower and then again to another Hoffman box just outside the
shack.  With this in mind, should I consider grounding the coax of the wire
antennas and controls lines to the tower and then run lines from the tower to
the shack where they will be grounded again, or should I do what I am doing now
which is to run everything directly to the shack and ground it there?

Please share with me what you would do and why.  Thank you.

73

Bob  KQ2M