Re: [TowerTalk] Screws used in Element Construction

To: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Screws used in Element Construction
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 05:19:01 -0500
Scott,

Not hex head screws.  Socket  head (Allen) cap screws instead.  Outside
perimeter of head is round.  Big difference.

6-32 for 5/8" and smaller, 8-32 for 3/4-1-1/8" and 10-32 for larger up to about
1-1/5".  The head needs to clear the outer tubing so it will pinch the inner
tube against inside wall of outer tube.  If you don't have means to nearly
perfectly align your drill press, you should level it as best you can in both
directions and drill with the tubes telescoped together.  Then drill out one
side of the larger tubing just enough to allow the head of the screw to clear.

ONE screw per joint will do a better job than any other arrangement I have used
in 40 years of building antennas.  3 inches overlap and hole in the center -
1.5 inches from end.

My understanding is that Optibeam uses this method out of necessity because of
using metric tubing that has too much clearance for other methods.  We used
this method on WRTC antennas.  I would never go back to any other method of
attaching telescoping tubing.

Building you own antennas is rewarding, financially and other.

73... Stan, K5GO