Re: [TowerTalk] Screws used in Element Construction

To: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>, Bryan Swadener via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Screws used in Element Construction
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 16:59:41 -0500 (CDT)
Good Afternoon All,

What Bryan is describing here is a SAE J1508 Type F HD clamp
that uses a "staked" clamp design, which uses a two-piece housing
is staked at each of the four corners.

The true HD versions use a 5/8" bandwidth, which is wider and
also thicker, a longer housing of thicker material. They also do
not come is sizes as small at the normal Type F in the 1/2" and
9/16" bandwidths. So this is not a 100% solution for all sizes.

Beware as there are clamps out there by Breeze/Norma and at one
time by Norton (now a SK company) that have the same "look" but
use a thinner knock-off staked housing, but are not as strong
as the Type F HD which is actually as strong a a t-bolt clamp.

A normal SAE J1508 Type F clamp has an ultimate (DO NOT EXCEED)
torque of ~50-60 inch-pounds. The Type F HD (5/8" band, staked
housing, etc.) has a ultimate torque of ~ 150 inch-pounds.

Suggested installation torque is 50-70% of the ultimate torque.

That's is why Bryan has better results with the Type F HD" than
the normal or standard "hose clamp" found in most places.

Hope that helps!

73 de Billy, AA4NU

Former Product Manager for Ideal Clamp Products