Re: [TowerTalk] 1dB more RF Power?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1dB more RF Power?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 14:34:52 -0700
On 5/5/2020 8:33 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
Nonsense.  Rolling  off  everything  below  500hz  is  fubar.  It  will
...and  does,  sound  like a  tin  can.   Ditto  with  rolling  everything  off
below  400  hz.   A  gradual  roll off  below  say  350  hz....  followed
by  a pronounced,  steeper  roll off  below  300  hz  works  good.
As  does a steep  roll off  below 300-325 hz.    But  the  rest  of  the
pass  band  has  to be  very  carefully equalized.  This  is  where
multi  band,  digital   parametric EQ  shines.

Jim,

I was elected a Fellow of the Audio Engineering Society, and am retired from broadcasting and pro audio. For my last 25 working years, I made my living designing large and small sound systems for both acoustic music and speech intelligibility in difficult acoustic spaces. Before that, I also sold and studied very sophisticated broadcast audio processing systems. An example of my published work is here.

http://k9yc.com/AESPaper-TDS.pdf

Your recommendations are fine for YOUR ESSB ragchewing operation at higher power than US stations are permitted, but it's lousy advice for speech intelligibility under weak signal conditions, for the reasons noted. My advice is for the latter.

IMO, if you need a parametric as opposed to octave-band EQ, there's something seriously wrong in your system. Maybe a poor choice of microphone, or a noisy shack.

73, Jim K9YC