Re: [TowerTalk] 1dB more RF Power?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1dB more RF Power?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 10:42:16 -0700
On 5/7/2020 10:15 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
Hundreds  of  tests  have  been  run,  with ssb  signals  right  at the  noise
level,
or  slightly  above  the  noise  level.  And  in  every  case,  increasing the
top  end
improves  speech intelligibility  by  a HUGE  amount.

Of course. And in speech reinforcement systems, we carry response up to at least 10 kHz. BUT my advice is for weak signal communications circuits for DXing and contesting. Band congestion is extreme during both of these conditions, so the use of ESSB is out of the question for these times.

> Microphone is a RE-27.

That's a fine microphone. I own several, also RE20s, which I use for recording music. They are my first choice for trombone, and for tenor and baritone saxophones. It is massive overkill for ham radio, and it's a relatively flat mic, so it lacks the built-in boost around 3 kHz that good communications mics provide.

73, Jim K9YC