Re: [TowerTalk] Long span lanyard for wire antenna

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long span lanyard for wire antenna
From: Keith Dutson <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 09:49:24 +0000 (UTC)

I think Phillystran is priced a bit high to use as a lanyard.
On the lower end of price is tarred nylon twine, commonly used for fishing
(trotline).  I have used a 400 pound test line obtained from Academy for many
years.  It has never failed even after many years of exposure to Texas gulf
coast weather.
Recently I installed three dipoles hung from pine trees near the shack.  I
found that the nylon line is difficult to pull through pine tree boughs.  I
purchased a roll of 500 pound test paracord (1000 feet for about $50), and it
is much easier to pull through pine trees.  So now I am in the process of
replacing all of the nylon cord with paracord.
73, Keith NM5G    On Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 12:07:01 AM CDT, Richard (Rick)
Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com> wrote:

On 4/20/2021 9:08 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> I wouldn't use Phillystran if there is any repeated bending such as
> going over a pulley, although it is not clear what "lanyard" means.

AFAIK, a "lanyard" simply hangs something statically.
A "halyard" raises something and typically involves
going around 1 or more pulleys.

> New England Ropes Sta-Set polyester is my favorite for low stretch,
> durable, and easy to handle line for all kinds of uses beyond what it
> did on my sailboat -(vangs, sheets, halyards, spinnaker pole guys).  Now
> gin pole hoists, temporary guys, multipart blocks, tower rigging, etc.

I was going to post a request on TT for a source of
"halyard" rope, but you have conveniently
answered my question.  I see that the Sta-Set rope:
"sees little degradation from UV rays".  Would
you say that agrees with your experience with it?

While we are on the subject of rope:  I have noticed
that the current rope offerings from the big boxes and HF are
now truly dismal.  Don't even bother going into those
places for antenna work.

73
Rick N6RK