Re: [TowerTalk] Long span lanyard for wire antenna

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long span lanyard for wire antenna
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 08:07:07 -0700
Re Sta-Set, it seems to have good UV resistance in marine use. Halyards etc. do wear at pulleys so that might be a few to dozen years or more before being flipped or replaced.

I was going to mention my favorite antenna rope, Synthetic Textiles black dacron, but the largest is 5/16 and it seemed light for the tension needed for a 350ft span. Now that "turnbuckles" will be used, even more so. Seems like a very unusual side load for any tower.

The ST is my choice for usual hoist and antenna ropes to a couple hundred pounds of tension, although not for any guy or lifting operation. Agree with the other post that it lasts longer than almost any wire antenna. That's the reason my halyards always have a secondary light pull down line or are full loops to the ground, so the line is never lost thru the pulley. They might get moldy/grungy, so I throw them in the washing machine (front loader only) in a mesh bag and they are like new.

Safe working load in ropes is a small fraction of breaking strength - eg a 4 to 12 safety factor. All antennas also generate dynamic loads.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/polyester-rope-strength-d_1514.html#:~:text=Minimum%20breaking%20strength%20and%20safe%20load%20for%20polyester,%20%20171%20%2016%20more%20rows%20

Grant KZ1W