Re: [TowerTalk] FA-VA5 question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FA-VA5 question
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:51:58 -0700
On 11/5/21 9:35 AM, Dave Sublette wrote:
I have one of these which I use to check SWR and measure component values.
I love it.  I know it is capable of doing more.  I just haven't had a need
to use it any other way.  What I am wondering is, will the thing act as a
TDR?

Short answer - The device can measure Z vs frequency, and has a USB interface, so "maybe"

https://www.box73.de/file_dl/bausaetze/BX-240_FA-VA4_Manual_revised_2017-08.pdf

Manual doesn't describe a TDR function, nor the USB interface, BUT, it does offer that by looking for resonant frequencies, you can measure the length of a cable.

That is, say you've got a short somewhere.  You look for the frequencies where the impedance is close to a short - those are frequencies where the cable is a multiple of a half wavelength. Likewise you can look for an open, and it's odd multiples of a 1/4 wavelength.

OR, spend $50-70 and get a NanoVNA, which has the TDR function built in.

I have a 200 foot run of half inch Superflex cable buried in a PVC pipe.
Thanks to a recent lightning strike, It measures shorted at one end of the
run and open at the other.  If I could get some Idea where the problem is,
perhaps I could dig it up and repair it without trying to pull and replace
it.  A fault like this implies to me that there is a clean break somewhere
and a short somewhere else. With a TDR, I could find the break and repair
it, then find the short.

Any other thoughts?  Sure would be nice if I could get this repaired before
winter sets in.

Thanks & 73,

Dave, K4TO

ps -- I know there is a manual for this.  Please don't suggest that I read
it.  I have nine pieces of equipment to repair and I am up to my ears in
alligators!