Re: [TowerTalk] FA-VA5 question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FA-VA5 question
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 07:46:29 -0700
On 11/6/21 7:35 AM, Michael Tope wrote:
I just watched a video by W0QE from 2019 that indicated that the NanoVNA doesn't allow you to save data to memory while using the unit standalone. Do you know if that limitation has been remedied in any of the new incarnations?

73, Mike W4EF..............

yes. some of the newer versions have an SD card. Some of the older ones have the solder pads for the SD card holder, but no actual SD card socket. Ditto serial port.  The NanoVNA is the epitome of "price sensitive" so there's no parts on there that don't need to be there.

The NanoVNA2, for instance, could stand to have some ESD protection diodes on it. Some reports from people reporting symptoms that look like zapped components.  The original NanoVNA has resistive terminations on both ports, so, should be pretty ESD resistant.  I wouldn't hook it up to a feedline that is actively sparking from the charging of blowing dust or snow, of course.

Of course, the NanoVNA has TDR built in, so you don't need to save it somewhere else.