Re: [TowerTalk] Crimped Electrical Connections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimped Electrical Connections
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 21:42:26 -0500
The crimp/solder discussion was for wire terminals. It has been stated on
Towertalk that this practice is not allowed on airplanes since it makes the
wire brittle. Just so I am not misquoted, these are not my concerns as I
crimp and solder.

John KK9A

W9AC wrote:

As I recall, past list debates concentrated mainly on crimp v. soldered RF
connectors.  In this case, each crimped Romex terminal lug failed with
infinite measured resistance between the #10 wire and barrel.  So, I think
it's worthy of discussion.  FWIW, most private replies suggested a
combination of crimping, followed by solder.  In the future, that advice
will be used on all outdoor crimped lugs at my station.

Thanks to all for the public and private replies.

Paul, W9AC