Re: [TowerTalk] Crimped Electrical Connections

To: 'TowerTalk' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimped Electrical Connections
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 20:12:29 -0800
combination of crimping, followed by solder.  In the future, that advice
will be used on all outdoor crimped lugs at my station.

I only have one installation along these lines, outside in the elements, winds to just under 70 MPH yearly, and temps from -10F to +120F across the seasons.

My "wire" antenna is 1/4" stainless steel cable, crimped into copper lugs, then soldered with silver solder, and the connection sealed in 3:1 thick wall shrink tube with adhesive the runs from the lug down 5"-6" on the cable.

My connections point downward, but I also later realized that water can wick into the cable, so should I need to re-do the connections in the future, I'll back-fill the cable surrounded by the shrink tube with acrylic, nothing fancy, just dribble in superglue until it's full.

I did this job in August of 2013, and have not noted any issues with daily operation.

Pics upon request.

Kurt