Initial Exchange

Subject: Initial Exchange
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 20:14:34 -0600 (CST)
KB5YVT@aol.com writes:
>Ver 5.95
>NAQP Multi
>Problem:
>
>Computers linked OK but I have initial exchange = QTH, it brings up qth in
>exchange field then I type in name but it won't log unless I backspace back
>and put the name first and qth second?  Also then when it logs it shows
>strange qths for the QSO, in other words not the qth I typed in the exchange
>box?

The "strange" QTHs are because the name is being used as
the QTH and it looks for something like it in the .DOM file
and matches on the last thing entered for the qth.

>it and then I type qth and works fine.

Why not just use either:

INITIAL EXCHANGE = NAME QTH

If it comes up without the name and the QTH is correct then
type CTL-A, type in the name and a space.

If the QTH and name are wrong type CTL-W to clear the field.

or

INITIAL EXCHANGE = NAME

As the name needs to be first.

You can change these settings in the CONTROL-J menu.

>Also see that you can't change the
>name without backspacing out the first name ie:  name comes up BOB and the
>guy sends Tim  you can't just  Bob Tim TX  in the exchange box or it won't
>take it?

Just hit ctl-w and clear the field - type what he sends you.
The reason you can just type in a bucnh of names and qths
into the exchange field and have the program figure it out
is because the program can not tell what is a name and
what is a QTH.

What if N5KO/6 gets on and sends his name as TEX and his
qth as CAL -- how is the program going to be able to tell
the QTH from the name?  So the safe/easy thing to do is
make you enter it in order.

>73 Mike K5NZ     W5NN Multi  Sluggo

I thought you learned not to use the name Sluggo.
Or was that just on SSB?  :-)

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.    "My theory is that if you can work everything