[TRLog] ASCII vs. BINary

Subject: [TRLog] ASCII vs. BINary
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 13:14:13 -0700 (PDT)
> I have used TR for a couple of years, and CT for many more (previously).
> This is not meant as a rude complaint, but the lack of user friendliness
> when correcting entry mistakes is a real sore spot for TR...
>
> Don't take my word for it, though. Look at the choice of logging
> software for the competitors in WRTC last year. I really expected most
> of them would use TR because of its high performance aspect, and the
> fact that it was already updated/debugged for the contest (CT was
> crashing just a week before the event) But that was not the case... I
> asked a couple of the competitors why they weren't using TR--the reason
> given was "difficulty in error recovery".

Okay - I am a little confused here...  Over the years, there have
been improvements to the error correcting methods in TR.  We have
done away with the question asking if you want to make the changes
take effect (if you want it that way).  Pressing uparrow with no
call window entry moves you up into the editable window, and the cursor
keys can be used to move around, along with TAB and shift-TAB.

I am used to people having perceptions of TR that are out of date...
but I am not sure this is a valid perception any more.

So, please tell me what else needs to be done to make it easier?

Or, are we talking about the 5 QSO limitation?

> If interested, see the WRTC statistics & log summary at www.jzap.com.
> This site shows breakdowns, including logging s/w.

I am not sure the ONLY reason is the editing issue.  In most cases
people don't use TR because they aren't comfortable with it, and will
use the "least common denominator" when two or more people need to
make a decision.

> As for me? Well, I will be using TR this weekend. However, I do wish it
> was a bit easier to correct my (many) errors in real time.

"real time?"  I am perplexed by this...  wouldn't this mean fixing
them during the QSO?  Because of the way CT operates (by sometimes
logging a QSO before you might have the right zone for example), it
seems to make correcting the previous QSO a "normal" procedure.

With TR, it always wants you to press that additional key (on SSB)
after you have entered the exchange information to log the QSO.

At any rate - I am all ears on how to make the last 5 QSOs more
editable.  For those who want more than 5 QSOs, please see the
comments on the wish list (http://www.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html).

Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com