[TRLog] USING TR

Subject: [TRLog] USING TR
From: aa0cy@robertwanderer.gardnerville.nv.us (ROBERT WANDERER)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 12:08:32 -0700
Well, I used TR during the IARU and it was great. I was planning on working a
good part
of the contest, but unanticipated complications arose (better known as Murphy),
and I did
about 2 hrs. Thanks to Bill AA4NU who sent me some config files used by himself
and some
other folks. This, plus reading the manual (6.01 is better than 5.95) several
times and actually
using the program in a contest, helped immensely. I still have a long way to go
(like playing
what if games off-line to see what happens), but the first hump is behind me.

When I first created my LOGCFG, I put in AA0CY as the call and after a few Q's
realized that
the zone info (7, not 6) was wrong. I went out of the program and edited the
file for AA0CY/7. When I came back, the auto exchange was Zone 3! Any idea why?
Did it have anything to do with RESTART.BIN? Anyway, I changed it via ALT+P.

Now to make a fool of myself. May I suggest indicating in the manual that
hitting the <ENTER>
key is the way to toggle the status of a parameter in CTRL+J? Just may save
someone a few
seconds or minutes of frustration. While this contest was strictly S&P, I plan
to CQ a lot in
NAQP. Is there a command for automatic CQ'ing plus its delay? I didn't see one.
It is a
feature from NA I'd like to see implemented in TR if it hasn't already been.
How it works in NA
is that you enable CQREPEAT and a little window comes up for delay (1 to 9
seconds). You choose the desired value and hit <ENTER>. The CQ status blinks.
Now you hit F1 and you're done. The program will call CQ (works both on CW and
SSB) until you hit either the <ESC> or any alphanumeric key (i.e. start typing
in the respondent's call). This still allows function
or ALT/CTRL + keys to be used without aborting the automatic CQ's.

I was able to transfer the log data to my WJ2O logging program with no problems
although
WJ2O said that TR logs normally had a .LOG extension and all I got was LOG.DAT &
LOGORG.DAT. Did I miss performing something vital while in POST? What is the
difference
between them anyway?

No problems interfacing to my FT1000D. While no mention was made in the manual,
found that if I typed "14002" <ENTER> in the callsign box, the radio went to
that frequency.
Oh yes, I too would find it useful if the log showed the actual frequencies.

I have only a CGA monitor (but now have incentive to upgrade [WF1B {RTTY} V3
requires a 386
and I have but a 286). What would happen if I enabled the band map?

I still have to see if I can interface to my PK232. Should I first enable it
through Procomm so
that it's in CONVerse mode?

Sorry for the rather long message. I'll get back to configuring TR for NAQP the
beginning of
August. (Yes, it's early but I need the practice!)

73,
Bob AA0CY(@contesting.com)