[TRLog] Radio interface is not working correctly

Subject: [TRLog] Radio interface is not working correctly
From: gbaron@sparc.isl.net (Gilbert Baron)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:20:15 GMT
I find that if I juste start the program and wait all of the things I
want to happen are now happening. I did change the response timeout
line in the config to 50.
It does take up to 15 seconds or so before the changes are seen.
With log-eqf the changes are seen in less than one second.
I think it is because pin 7 RTS is not being used by the program and
that makes it more difficult to communicate quickly. I would rather
see that used so that updates would be immediate. I realize that
leaves no pin for PTT so it is a dilemma. Perhaps it could be an
option. You would have the choice of PTT from the serial cable or
better communication?

I think the answer is that you have no choice but to jumper pin 7 to
pin 8. I change to that and it seems to update when it must. It still
(SOMETIMES AT LEAST) does not update until you do something at the
keyboard but at least it ALWAYS updates then.

I would much prefer if it would update when you make changes at the
radio with NO other intervention. Sometimes it does and sometimes it
does not.
Computer               Radio
1----------------------1
2----------------------2
3----------------------3
4------------------------------------------To interface
5----------------------5
6----------------------6
7                      7--|
8                      8--|
9----------------------9
I am using the connections below now.

My config files are
In c:\log

BAND MAP ENABLE = TRUE
BEEP ENABLE = FALSE
CODE SPEED = 20
CW SPEED FROM DATABASE
DISPLAY MODE = COLOR
KENWOOD RESPONSE TIMEOUT = 35
KEYER OUTPUT PORT = SERIAL 1
MOUSE ENABLE = TRUE
MY STATE = MN
PRINTER ENABLE = FALSE
PTT ENABLE = FALSE
RADIO ONE BAUD RATE = 4800
RADIO ONE CONTROL PORT = SERIAL 1
RADIO ONE NAME = TS870-S
RADIO ONE TYPE = TS850
SCP MINIMUM LETTERS = 3
SIMULATOR ENABLE = FALSE

CW TONE = 0
FLOPPY FILE SAVE NAME = C:\log\flopysav.dat
FLOPPY FILE SAVE FREQUENCY = 1

In C;\log\sslogs

MY CALL = W0MN
CONTEST = SWEEPSTAKES

INPUT CONFIG FILE = C:\LOG\LOGCFG.DAT

CQ EXCHANGE = # A W0MN 53 MN

REPEAT S&P EXCHANGE = # A W0MN 53 MN

QSL MESSAGE = 73 \ SS

QSO BEFORE MESSAGE =  SRI QSO B4 73 \ SS

CQ MEMORY F1 = CQ^SS \\ SS

CQ MEMORY F2 = CQ^ss CQ^SS CQ^SS \\

CQ MEMORY F4 = 73 \ SS

CQ MEMORY F7 = SRI QSO B4 73 \ SS
DVP ENABLE = FALSE

When I load the program it keeps the last radio information. For
instance if I have the radio on 20CW and I last worked 40 cw it still
says 40 cw. It does not update the band and frequency until I send a
cq or do some other action and not always then. I tried a dummy qso
and it actually logged the qso as 40 cw when it was made on 20cw.
In addition if I change the band after it is correct the indication
does not change until I do some transmitting.
Has anyone else seen this behavior and if so how did you correct it?
Obviously this is not acceptable and the log could get really messed
up.
I am using a Kenwood TS870S and all connections are wired through on
the cable including pin 7 except pion 4 which is the CW keying.
Obviously it seems to me that you can't wire that one through and
still use it for CW keying.

Computer               Radio
1----------------------1
2----------------------2