[TRLog] OT's 2 cents

Subject: [TRLog] OT's 2 cents
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 12:36:38 -0800 (PST)
> Is this just an issue when you change the name or what happens if you
> change other parts of the initial exchange? Does this affect any of the
> information that is saved that is critical to contest rules. If I edit
> something and it is not put in the LOG ITSELF then I would be very
> upset. If it is only in the default information such that it is easy to
> fix for the log and such that it won't affect the score then I would not
> be too upset about it. I would agree that this is not worth a PTF
> although a fixed next release would be nice, but not if it would make
> the program cost more than we would want to pay.

This issue only is an issue as follows:

1. You log a station with the incorrect exchange (it has scrolled
up into the editable log window).

2. You edit the exchange received in the editable log window using
the Alt-E edit command.

3. You work the station again on another band/mode.  When you do this,
the INITIAL exchange will not reflect the edits made in step #2.  You
will receive the same initial exchange you got the first time.

> I agree that just because he does a great job it does not excuse not
> fixing a bad bug that affects the basic function of the program.

I haven't considered this to be a bad bug.  It is something that will
not happen very often.  The result of the bug is that you have to
enter the correct exchange information the next time you work the
station.  If you do this in the exchange window, the problem is
fixed the 3rd time you work the guy.

> Something like this must be measured against the cost and what it would
> do to the ability to support real operational problems and what it might
> do to the cost in the future.

Well - for me, I have a long list of things to do with the program
(take a look at the wish list - the URL is at the bottom of this
message).  I have a limited amount of time that I can spend working
on the program.  Working on this issue simply means other things
won't be done as soon.  I try to make good judgment calls about
what issues are important and which ones have minimal impact.

> You have the same option that I have and that I have exercised with
> other prgorams, if you don't like it the don't use it and go to
> something else. Speak with your pocket book.

Well, I kind of disagree with this practice...  I would hope I have
enough input from my customer base to respond to issues before they
have to get their checkbook out.

I will probably try to address this issue soon.    It will also enable
me to address another long standing issue - being able to reload
the initial exchanges when loading in a LOG.DAT file that has been
edited.

Tree