[TRLog] directory structures

Subject: [TRLog] directory structures
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 07:54:40 -0600 (CST)
I suppose the new proposed scheme will help those who put all
of their contest files into c:\log, but I wouldn't recommend
doing that anyways.   I've seen folks put everything in c:\log,
then notice things aren't working right because there are files
from previous contests in the directory.

I like to keep the data separate from the executables, and use
a simple tree structure.  I'll probably continue to organize all
of my TR-Log files as follows:

c:\log  --  nothing but TR executables, help files, and ROMASTER.DTA
            (my own TRMASTER.DTA made from my own contest QSOs only.)

c:\contest             --   root level contest data directory

c:\contest\1998        --   a subdirectory for each year...

c:\contest\1998\sscw98  --  and a subdirectory for each contest...

c:\contest\1998\sscw98\logcfg.dat    ...
.
.  (individual files for that contest...)
.
c:\contest\1998\sscw98\restart.bin      ...

I find that this scheme helps me with backups, archiving, and browsing.
I suppose everyone has their own favorite way of doing this.  The new
scheme might help those just getting started.

-Kirk  K4RO