[TRLog] S&P to CQ switching and other Suggestions

Subject: [TRLog] S&P to CQ switching and other Suggestions
From: w4zw@home.com (Jon, W4ZW)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:06:34 -0500
On a little different subject, I had the strange experience of TR logging
four Q's on 160M randomly in my log, but I never operated on 160.  The
interface to my FT-1000MP seems to work fine ( although I have to admit the
RIT toggle with the shift key had me wondering why so many guys were
drifting around until I remembered reading about this feature, hi).  I'm old
fashioned and still use the shift key when I type.  That was a simple matter
to turn off.

The 160M QSO's are a mystery, however.  They all occurred in the middle of a
series of Q's on the same frequency. I wasn't set up for two radios,
although that's next, so it couldn't have been the default settings for a
phantom 2d radio, or could it?

I also agree about the edit key.  A downcursor should simply accept the edit
and place you into the call window. ESC in all other cases does what you
would expect, clear the decks of whatever you're trying to stop.  The
intuitive action is to down cursor.

As for the CQ/S&P changeover, I would suggest the " ~ ` " key just below the
ESC key.  The color change is great, but a single key to toggle would be
great.  A color coded Function Key overlay would also be a great help.  One
color for CQ, and one for S&P, with a quick "Alt-Key" map like the old DOS
Wordperfect overlays we all relied on when we were learning WordPerfect.

Another struggle for me was the great feature of automagically putting the
names into the exchange window when they were available from the master
database, but it seems in NA that everybody now changes his name every
contest.  I spent as much time deleting the default name as I did entering
the new one. I didn't want to ESC to clear the field since I had already
typed in the exchange.  Anyone have any hints or tricks for this?

Please don't get me wrong, I think this is a great program.  I'm just
struggling to become proficient with it.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW
Casey Key Island, Florida

"A little bit of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

snip//
> I have argued before, and I still maintain that the way the
> editing should  work is as follows:
>
> To save edits: hit down arrow when on the bottom line of the window. This
> should move you to the Call window and save the changes;
> To quit edit without saving: hit ESC.
>

>   Doc  N7DR

I agree Doc.