[TRLog] S&P to CQ switching

Subject: [TRLog] S&P to CQ switching
From: swca@ionet.net (swca@ionet.net)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:38:50 -0600
Clive, GW3NJW said:

>I have used TR for a couple of months now, and find it first class
>in almost every respect.  However operations have highlighted one
>rather clumsy, unergonomic feature, viz the switching from S&P mode
>into CQ mode. Although this can be accomplished a couple of ways,
>hitting the ESC key several times will do this, and often this is
>not what I intend in the heat of the moment.

>I wonder if others find this a problem, and would not the solution
>be to disallow ESC for this function, and require solely the use
of a more definite key sequence such as Ctrl Tab?

>opinions welcome

I do not find this clumsy or unergonomic.  I now think of the escape key as
a "step backwards" key.  One thing I have noticed after probably 25 years
of watching people pound keyboards is that for some reason, if they know a
key sends a command, they think hitting it twice (or three times or four
times) must be even better or more immediat^C
^C
^C
^C
you know what I mean?

With TR only one escape is needed for each step backwards that you want to
take.  If you don't want to take more than one step backwards, but you hit
the key twice, I don't see that as a deficiency in the program.

I once tried to correct Tree's spelling by telling him that the phrase "Hit
ESCAPES to exit" was a typo and it should really say "Hit ESCAPE to exit."
Tree pointed out that there was a difference between one ESCAPE and two
ESCAPES in this case and he meant what he said.

:)   I had to unlearn years of key bashing to get over this exact thing,
Clive.

Mark, N5OT