[TRLog] Re: out of memory warning

Subject: [TRLog] Re: out of memory warning
From: kg2au@stny.lrun.com (Jimmy Weierich)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:15:24 -0500
>>         With not even 400 Qs in the log, I noticed that the memory
>>indicator in the
>> upper right was way low... like 1700. And dropping by big chunks with
>>every Q.
>> At about 600 or so,  a warning message came on. It said ' insufficient
>>memory
>> to generate remaining multiplier list'. I thougt that was odd as during the
>
>I have found that even relatively inoucous (sp?) TSRs can cause strange
>memory problems & other stuff.  (like control characters appearing in
>the call window when you try to make a correction)
>
>I have two sets of AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, and a pair of
>batch files TOWIN.BAT and TOTR.BAT which swap the right ones into
>place.  All the TR versions do is set the PATH and PROMPT.  (I even have
>a little 6-byte .COM file that runs at the end of each .BAT to reboot
>the machine & make the changes take effect...)
>--
>Doug Smith W9WI
>Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Another solution is a commercial product called System Commander Deluxe (V
Communications http://www.v-com.com/index.html), about $50. It allows you
to create separate partitions on your hard disk for different operating
systems that normally can't coexist. I have created separate partitions for
Windows 98 and  DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1 and have also played with one for
Linux. You can also specify different sets of AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS
files for a given OS. At boot time a menu appears allowing you to select
the OS and the boot files you wish to use.

I use a DOS 6.22 partition to run TRLog, thus avoiding any problems related
to running in DOS under Windows. As Doug  indicates, AUTOEXEC.BAT and
CONFIG.SYS files with the bare minimum of entries (including no CDROM or
mouse support) are used for TRLog. I have sets of boot files that allow me
to run other old DOS and Windows 3.1 software that won't run gracefully
under Windows.

Another product from the same publisher, Boot Commander, provides the same
boot options without the partitioning and multiple OS's. This allows you to
do essentially the same thing Doug is doing by selecting the appropriate
boot files at boot time rather than having to reboot if the proper ones
aren't currently active. I lived with a similar setup to Doug's until I bit
the bullet and upgraded from Windows 3.1 to 98 and found that some of my
old stuff wouldn't run at all under Windows 98.

The usual disclaimers in regards to association with V Communications apply.

Jimmy, KG2AU       <kg2au@stny.lrun.com>