[TRLog] Keyer Cable

Subject: [TRLog] Keyer Cable
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:10:27 -0500 (CDT)
> One other note. My FT-990 has two keyer jacks, and I found I can
> also use my paddles through an external keyer. This seems simpler than
> another cable to the computer just for paddle keying. Am I missing
> something, some features of the program, or is this acceptable?

One feature of using the TR-Log paddles is that the paddles
automatically halt any computer-generated CW message that is
being played.  You don't have to first halt the message and,
then start sending with the paddles. The CW speed of the paddles
is also the same, so it's very smooth.  Some prefer to have their
paddles set at a different speed, but I just use the PgUp and PgDn
keys for that.  The TR-controlled paddles also automatically switch
to the correct radio in SO2R operation.

The only downside is that if your computer locks up mid QSO, you
then have NO paddles at all.  I really should wire up something
parallel to quickly send CW with just in case.  It has happened
to me more than once during a contest.

-Kirk  K4RO