[TRLog] TRLog & Windows98

Subject: [TRLog] TRLog & Windows98
From: fflynn@together.net (Francis Flynn)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:57:17 -0500
Even with windows 98, you can have your machine boot to good old familiar DOS
prompt.

Edit the msdos.sys file, which in windows 95 or 98 isn't really a sys file like
it was back in
DOS 6.22 and before days, it's really an ascii text file.

To edit this you first have to change the file's attributes by using the attrib
command like this:

attrib c:\msdos.sys -r -a -s -h

This unsets all four of the attributes, then bring it up into any kind of text
editor you like,
msdos edit works ok and change the line  "BootGUI=1" to "BootGUI=0"

(that's zero not 'oh')

Then put TR in your autoexec.bat.  If you don't have, create one with the same
text editor.
(Windows95 and up doesn't need an  autoexec.bat or config.sys, but will work
with one if it's there)

If you want to run windows, quit TR and type 'win' at the prompt.

You don't have to, but you can set the attributes back again  (attrib msdos.sys
+r +a +s +h)

This is what I do on my laptop with Win98 installed, it's good if you have to
reboot TR
for any reason.  You don't have to sit and wait while all the GUI junk loads up.

-Fran KM1Z