[TRLog] Bandmap bugginess in version 6.67

Subject: [TRLog] Bandmap bugginess in version 6.67
From: rrossi@btv.ibm.com (Ron D. Rossi)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 13:38:53 -0400
Mike,

Thanks for your observations and very detailed note. Please read my comments
in line below.

>>>"Mike Heideman" said:
> We used TR-Log version 6.67 in the CW WPX contest this past
> weekend.  As several people have already mentioned to me, I now
> know that the CQ MODE command can be given with LASTCQFREQ.  I
> think someone told me this before, but I forgot to add it to a
> config file at the time and then forgot about it.
>
> Early in the contest I did a scan of 20 meters to fill up the
> bandmap while our 20-meter operator CQ'ed.  Things mostly worked
> OK.  I was using our only non-interfaced radio (we ran out of
> computers with multiple serial ports). After a short while I had
> filled up the page and the new spots I was entering were no
> longer visible to me.  I like to be able to see the section of
> the bandmap for which I'm entering spots so that I can tell if
> there are any big frequency gaps where I've missed a station.
> Doing Ctrl-End and right-scrolling is not a very convenient way
> to do this.

Version 6.68 includes much improved performance when not interfaced to a
radio. I will look at making the band map page track the last frequency
entered. That would be a nice touch.

With an interfaced radio the band map display will track with the tuned
frequency. The spot nearest the radio frequency should be on screen at all
times. I experimented with the radio cursor staying near the center of the
band map, but did not like the way it looked. I could make that an optional
setting though. Right now the cursor will track to the next to last (or next
to first) displayed entry before shifting over one column.

> Realizing that our run operator was at the low end of the band
> and probably couldn't see the spots I was adding at the top end
> of the band, I told him to use the 'd' key to toggle to no-dupe
> mode so he could see if there were any new mults among the
> unworked stations.  This had the appearance of working, except
> the bandmap showed TA0/Z37M as a new mult when it was in fact a
> dupe (the release notes suggest that this problem was fixed in
> version 6.65).  This callsign may also have come from packet.
> >From our operator's complaints at the time I also believe that
> using Ctrl-End or NEXTBANDMAP to go to specific stations in the
> bandmap was selecting a different station and frequency than was
> displayed.  We immediately switched the dupes back on and didn't
> observe the problem again.  Maybe this only occurs when the
> portable station is entered into the bandmap from a different
> computer or packet because TA0/Z37M was correctly shown as a
> dupe later when entered from the 20-meter run station.

All that stuff COULD be related to the non interfaced radio. I would like to
see how this works in version 6.68 before I did anything. Are you sure that
you were using 6.67?

> We tried using both the Ctrl-Delete and Ctrl-Insert features of
> the new, improved bandmap but neither did anything.  The latter
> was tried both on interfaced and non-interfaced radios.

This could be BIOS dependent. I had to get the scan codes for those keys
empirically. They work on my two IBM laptops and a generic pentium pro
desktop. I have USE BIOS KEY CALLS = FALSE in my LOGCFG.DAT (actually
STDCFG.DAT).

> There was also some flashing at the bottom of the screen.  It
> appeared that the band range indicator for the bandmap was being
> displayed in the same area as the Multi-info message, so there
> would be a brief flash of "DUPES ON  20CW -  20CW", which was
> immediately overwritten by the Multi-info message window.  We
> had Multi Info Message = $.

Okay! I fixed that last night when I first read your note. It will be in 6.68
when it comes out.

> We had BANDMAP ALL MODES set to FALSE but a packet spot for some
> unusual prefix at 14280 ended up in the bandmap.  Shouldn't the
> default range for the CW band filter these out?

I am sure that came from the uninterfaced radio. The problem prior to 6.68 was
that with no radio interfaced the band map was stuck on CW. This should not
happen in 6.68. Of course if everything was working perfectly I would not be
so busy!

> Overall the Bandmap is much improved.  It doesn't flash like it
> used to when it was too big for the window and long callsigns
> don't do strange things anymore.  The previously broken features
> also seem close to working.

There were lots of hazards repaired. Most you will never know about =:-)

--
73 es God Bless de KK1L...ron rossi(kk1l@arrl.net) <><
QTH: Jericho, Vermont