RE: [Trlog] Any interest in Bootable MS-DOS CD's?

To: <kd4d@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: [Trlog] Any interest in Bootable MS-DOS CD's?
From: "R. Kline" <k7nj@zahav.net.il>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:04:54 -0700
Hi Mark,
Well, I've succeeded in making the thumb drive bootable.  I did this by
using a "USB 2.0 Cardbus" PCMCIA adapter plugged into my notebook with the
thumb drive plugged into it and then using the downloaded SP27213 program to
make the thumb drive bootable. At first I used DOS 6.22 (using FAT), and
then I redid it using DOS (for Win 98 - don't remember version number -
using FAT 32). I can't boot via the adapter because the BIOS doesn't
recognize it, so I move the thumb drive over to my USB 1.1 socket, and it
boots.  The problem remaining is speed.  When using TR and typing a call
(using the simulator), there is about a 4 second delay after typing is
finished until everything appears on the screen and before TR continues.
I've also noticed that it is not possible to change the CW speed (page up or
page down keys) while the simulator is "sending". This slowness was the same
regardless of the version of DOS that was used.  So, it seems that the
slower USB 1.1 is the culprit. I understand that USB 1.1 is about 1/10 the
speed of USB 2.0.  It seems that I have several options that include: (1)
Trying to get my BIOS to recognize the USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter and hoping
that with the thumb drive plugged into that will still enable booting into
it.  I sense that even if I could get my BIOS to recognize the adapter,
there will likely be problems doing the DOS boot because of the necessity
for BIOS to do two things in the Boot process. (2)Maybe a better solution is
to use a "ramdrive" that will run TR in RAM.  My notebook has 512 MB of RAM.
I would like to try running a ramdrive.  However, it's been so long since I
played with such things that I'm not sure how to do it. I do have a copy of
ramdrive.exe, but I don't know how to use it. I would be most grateful to
receive copies of config.sys and autoexec.bat that will run TR in ramdrive.
Of course, any other ideas will be most welcome!
Thanks,
73,
Riki, K7NJ - 4X4NJ