RE: [Trlog] Any interest in Bootable MS-DOS CD's?

To: <kd4d@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: [Trlog] Any interest in Bootable MS-DOS CD's?
From: "R. Kline" <k7nj@zahav.net.il>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:33:29 -0700
Hi Mark,

Thanks for all of your encouragement and readiness to help. I believe that
lots of guys are finally solving this problem - if not directly by following
your suggestions, then certainly as a result of the great interest and
discussions that have resulted.

For the time being, it appears that the problem will be solved without
booting from a CD.

I've made quite a bit of progress since our last exchange of emails.  I was
able to format the thumb drive by using the SP27213 software with the thumb
drive plugged into my USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter tht is only accessible through
windows.  After formatting it to be bootable from DOS, I moved it to my
computers "normal" USB 1.1 port, and after making the necessary adjustment
to the BIOS - it booted!  But, I soon found out that it was extremely slow,
in particular, the screen would lag typing of callsigns by at least 1 second
for each character.  The solution for that was to run TR in a RAMdrive that
was intiated from the thumb drive running in DOS. That completely solved the
delay problem. The one remaining(known)problem is that I've still not got it
to recognize my external floppy drive that is connected to the second USB
1.1 port.  I would like to have this for doing backups during a contest -
something that I've always done in the past (before Windows XP). So, I hope
to solve that soon (any suggestions on proven drivers for this application
will be appreciated).  Then, of course, it will be necessary to check out
the serial port connection for my radio's frequency and bandmap control and
the parallel port used for keying - hopefully they will work OK (please, Mr.
Murphy.....).

73,
Riki, K7NJ - 4X4NJ