Re: [Trlog] Partial loss of frequency data

To: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Partial loss of frequency data
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:16:52 -0800
On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:32:21PM +0000, VR2BrettGraham wrote:
> With 6.79 & TS-950S here, the program will stop showing the
> frequency display for the radio while I tune the radio.  A little
> while after I stop tuning the radio, the program then displays
> the frequency it is on.
>
>  From time to time, the program goes beep & spits the dummy,
> reporting it has stopped polling the radio.
>
> FILTER RADIO MESSAGE LENGTH is set to TRUE.
>
> Increasing KENWOOD RESPONSE TIMEOUT to something
> like 300 will make the frequency display stay, but as I tune
> the 950 the frequency still isn't updated & the display may
> still disappear if I keep tuning long enough.  It seems to follow
> slow tuning at around 400 or 500, but will eventually hold on
> a frequency & then go blank.
>
> This behavior can result in a mucked up bandmap if one doesn't
> take care to make sure the program is with you when doing a
> pass through the band.

The problem here is that the Kenwood radios can't chew gum (report
their frequency over the serial port) and walk (QSY up/down the band
with the VFO knob) at the same time.

As you increase the timeout time - the frequency display will not be
updated during that time (staying on the old frequency).  When you stop
tuning, all of the requested data rush's across the serial port and it
catches up.  In some versions - if you time out (tune longer than the
timeout time), the display will blank out.

This is a good example of the various issues that have made radio
interfacing so frustrating that I haven't been able to release a new
version for almost a year now.  I have my rewrite of the radio interface
all done (have had for months) - but these little details that have to be
worked around end up driving me nuts.

Tree