Re: [Trlog] Latest Manual

To: <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Latest Manual
From: "Tod" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:10:32 -0700
 Ed (and Bob):

I have an HP1022 printer at this location. When I open the PDF it is done by
Acrobat itself and not the freely downloaded Acrobat reader. I do not have
the option that Ed is seeing although I have seen it on some material that I
have printed -- just not on this object.

Ed, I wonder if you have the capability to enlarge the pages of the file and
reformat them and then make the file available to me. I have been
considering trying to do this using PhotoShop but I have not yet
experimented to prove I can do that.

The folks at Staples indicated that they had not changed the format and
would not do so without explicit instructions from me prior to printing. (A
perfectly reasonable policy as far as I am concerned). They did indicate
that if I was not happy about the printing I should come back and discuss it
with them and they could do it again so I am satisfied. If they really can
expand the printed area I would like to do that --- even though I consider
this my problem and not theirs. My request for source material was
predicated upon the idea that they (like me) could not expand the area.

After writing this I went off to Acrobat and found that there is a crop
function that allows me to make the adjustments that are necessary. The
cropping of the right and left hand margins are different for odd and even
pages, but the program allows one to select the cropping for each of them
and combine them in a single document. The net result is that when one
selects the 'fit paper' option the scale is 107% compared to the original
96%. The type face is delightfully large and easy to read.

If Staples is using Acrobat or something similar it is clear this can be
done by them; if not I can run a copy of the PDF through the cropping
process and have them print the resulting file.

I think the first option to explore is to see if they can do the  expansion.
After that I will see about alternatives.

Thanks -- Ed, George, Bob for the comments which caused me to read the
Acrobat "help screens" on my computer display and figure out how to do what
I wanted without troubling anyone else.

Tod, K0TO