[WriteLog] Setup & PTT

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Setup & PTT
From: n1hko@arrl.net (N1HKO - Bill Fleming)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:49:20 -0500
x86 is an entirely different debate... and I agree. But when you can
buy 3 Intels to 1 Alpha it boils down to economics.

I like the modular idea. But, will it work? Many developers spend
many hours building "bridges" just to connect the available
modules together. It's a whole other set of frustrations. The
problem, in the ham market, seems to be combining all the logging
(contest, DX & general) and automation functions in one package.
What WL does well, others do not. The converse is also true. No
product will ever be everything to everyone. I can think of a few
talented programmers who may benefit greatly by forming a
strategic alliance and pursuing your idea. I would expect that
products such as that would be more difficult to use. Translated - a
more limited market. Too many appliance operators wanting plug 'n
play.

Perhaps managing 8 concurrent ports is a reasonable limit. That's
a decision for Wayne. Assuming 8 is the limit, I still feel it should
not be 8 of 8 but 8 of ??? Wayne?

Bill - N1HKO

> Hmmm.....
> I guess when it comest to pushing the computer envelope, I become
> frustrated that a very poor architecture ( intel x86 ) is the dominant
> one. Why not Motorola 68K, or VAX/VMS/Alpha, x86 is very poor to
> support the type of systems we try to build with it. Oh well, Beta was
> technically better than VHS too... Dr Doi at Sony can tell you about
> that one. So, we limp along. Yes, 4 is for Rig/cw et al, the other
> choose from 1-8 anyway. I guess it may be time to ask if the contest
> logger should have such an onerous responsibility as the type of
> system you described. Maybe we need to have a lego type building block
> program as the core and the contest logger is just one of the
> elements, not the core. I say that because the variables are just too
> much to ask of that poor program ( and the programmer ) Well, so much
> for babbling, 73, Ric

Bill Fleming
Amateur Radio Station(s) - N1HKO, 8P9AM, PJ2/N1HKO, P4/N1HKO
ARES District Emergency Coordiantor - American Red Cross Liaison
RACES Radio Officer
Manchester, New Hampshire

P O Box 5973
Manchester, NH 03108-5973